Article provided by: Donnlyn Group
Do you need roof repair in Newmarket ON? Contact Donnlyn Roofing. We a family-owned and operated business.
What Are The Different Parts Of my Roof?
Your roof has different components. It is important to understand what the different components are and what purpose they serve. This will help you identify problems if they occur.
- Decking or sheathing is usually made from ½ inch plywood. This is where your shingles are attached and nailed.
- Roof Edge or eaves is the board that runs along the eaves or edge of the roof. It is known as fascia.
- The attic is the space under the roof that requires proper ventilation.
- The saddle is located behind the higher side of a chimney and diverts water around it.
- A ridge is a horizontal line that runs across the roof.
- A valley is a v-cut angle along a junction between two roof slopes.
- Underlay membrane is a coating that protects shingles against resin that the wood decking releases and protects the decking from the elements.
- Eaves membrane is placed under some of the asphalt shingles and prevents water infiltration that is caused by ice dams.
- A drip edge covers the edge of your roof and helps prevent the infiltration of water.
- Roof vents are openings that ensure proper ventilation.
- The deflector is a piece of polystyrene placed between two rafters that ensures airflow near the soffits.
- A plumbing vent admits air into the plumbing system.
- Flashing can be found in the valley and the bases of chimneys, walls, and vents. It prevents water from infiltrating the roof and causing damage.
What Are The Warning Signs I Have A Problem With My Roof?
You will want to conduct an outdoor inspection of your roof if you think you have a problem. Look for:
- Damaged, cracked, or missing shingles
- Tears, buckling around vents
- Decay and stains to the fascia
- Clogged or damaged vents
Indoors look for damage in your attic. You may notice staining or damp rafters. In your home, you can look for peeling paint on the walls or ceiling. If you suspect you have a problem you will want to call someone for roof repair in Newmarket.
You will want to inspect your roof if you have experienced a severe weather event. High winds, rain, and heavy snow can all damage your roof. The earlier you address the problem the better. A professional will be able to advise you on how to proceed.
Do I Need A New Roof?
If you have determined you have a problem with your roof contact several roofing companies and get opinions and estimates. For a newer roof with localized damage roof repair in Newmarket is an option. If your roof is older and has damage in several areas, you will need to weigh your options and find a roofing company that is licensed, insured and has a good reputation. It is critical you spend time reading reviews and asking for referrals from friends, family, and co-workers.
Your roof is your home’s first defense against the elements. Contact Donnlyn Roofing and let us repair or replace your roof today.Roof Repair Newmarket
View Larger Map